Monday, September 18, 2006

Stop The ACLU / Three Cheers

Stop The ACLU

Click to view larger image. Largest.

Third version of the cartoon I've posted online in the past day; the former versions were posted directly to the Stop The ACLU site itself. To stop myself from creating additional variations of this cartoon I've destroyed the former ones and flattened all the layers of the print version of the cartoon above. Enough is enough!

I had a pretty clear idea of the 'message' of this cartoon (the ACLU defends some Christian cases, particularly ones which further their own partisan agenda, but on the whole aggressively attacks Christian free expression) but the 'gag' was just too idea laden and kept imploding under its own weight. Finally I compromised with the cartoon and allowed it to express the spirit of my original idea. It's surreal, I know, but it works for me.

I recently read some of an interview with Bob Dylan, where he revealed that he tries to capture an overall aural quality to his songs which matches the elusive one he totes around in his head. This sound, he explained, is similar to an early morning walk down a busy street, minus the jack hammers. It's his 'jingle-jangle morning'. I can understand this, because much more important than any particular political or religious idea, I try to capture a certain atmosphere I feel regarding the confluence or non-confluence of these themes. I understand that people enjoy gags, but I've never been very good at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment